by Edited by James J. Gross
This authoritative volume provides a comprehensive road map of the important and rapidly growing field of emotion regulation. Each of the 30 chapters in this handbook reviews the current state of knowledge on the topic at hand, describes salient research methods, and identifies promising directions for future investigation.
This authoritative volume provides a comprehensive road map of the important and rapidly growing field of emotion regulation. Each of the 30 chapters in this handbook reviews the current state of knowledge on the topic at hand, describes salient research methods, and identifies promising directions for future investigation. The contributors—who are the foremost experts in the field—address vital questions about the neurobiological and cognitive bases of emotion regulation, how we develop and use regulatory strategies across the lifespan, individual differences in emotion regulation tendencies, social psychological approaches, and implications for psychopathology, clinical interventions, and health.
"If human beings are fundamentally in the business of pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain, then this book is about the most fundamental aspect of human life. At long last, the world's experts on emotion regulation have come together to provide a grand tour of the research landscape, and the result is well worth the price of admission. Both students and scientists will find much to be learned in these pages."
-Daniel Gilbert, PhD, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
"This handbook is an invaluable resource for researchers interested in emotion, mood, and self-regulation. It brings together leaders in diverse fields to explore the biological and psychosocial underpinnings and clinical implications of emotion regulation. A suitable primary or secondary text for a seminar on emotion regulation, this volume is likely to become a classic in the field."
-Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, PhD, Department of Psychology, Yale University
Hardcover, Pages: 615 + Index, Size: 7" x 10"
1. Emotion Regulation: Conceptual Foundations, James J. Gross and Ross A. Thompson
II. Biological Bases
2. Prefrontal-Amygdala Interactions in the Regulation of Fear, Gregory J. Quirk
3. Neural Bases of Emotion Regulation in Nonhuman Primates and Humans, Richard J. Davidson, Andrew Fox, and Ned H. Kalin
4. Insights into Emotion Regulation from Neuropsychology, Jennifer S. Beer and Michael V. Lombardo
5. The Neural Architecture of Emotion Regulation, Kevin N. Ochsner and James J. Gross
6. Genetics of Emotion Regulation, Ahmad R. Hariri and Erika E. Forbes
III. Cognitive Foundations
7. Executive Function: Mechanisms Underlying Emotion Regulation, Philip David Zelazo and William A. Cunningham
8. Explanatory Style and Emotion Regulation, Christopher Peterson and Nansook Park
9. Affective Regulation and Affective Forecasting, George Loewenstein
10. Conflict Monitoring in Cognition-Emotion Competition, Samuel M. McClure, Matthew M. Botvinick, Nick Yeung, Joshua D. Greene, and Jonathan D. Cohen
IV. Developmental Approaches
11. Caregiver Influences on Emerging Emotion Regulation: Biological and Environmental Transactions in Early Development, Susan D. Calkins and Ashley Hill
12. Socialization of Emotion Regulation in the Family, Ross A. Thompson and Sara Meyer
13. Awareness and Regulation of Emotion in Typical and Atypical development, Hedy Stegge and Mark Meerum Terwogt
14. Effortful Control and Its Socioemotional Consequences, Nancy Eisenberg, Claire Hofer, and Julie Vaughan
15. Emotion Regulation and Aging, Susan Turk Charles and Laura L. Carstensen
V. Personality Processes and Individual Differences
16. Temperament and Emotion Regulation, Mary K. Rothbart and Brad E. Sheese
17. Individual Differences in Emotion Regulation, Oliver P. John and James J. Gross
18. A Clinical-Empirical Model of Emotion Regulation: From Defense and Motivated Reasoning to Emotional Constraint Satisfaction, Drew Westen and Pavel Blagov
19. Intelligent Emotion Regulation: Is Knowledge Power?, Tanja Wranik, Lisa Feldman Barrett, and Peter Salovey
20. How Emotions Facilitate and Impair Self-Regulation, Roy F. Baumeister, Anne L. Zell, and Dianne M. Tice
VI. Social Approaches
21. The Nonconscious Regulation of Emotion, John A. Bargh and Lawrence E. Williams
22. Adult Attachment Strategies and the Regulation of Emotion, Phillip R. Shaver and Mario Mikulincer
23. Interpersonal Emotion Regulation, Bernard Rimé
24. The Cultural Regulation of Emotions, Batja Mesquita and Dustin Albert
25. Emotion Regulation and Religion, Fraser Watts
VII. Clinical Applications
26. Emotion Regulation and Externalizing Disorders in Children and Adolescents, Benjamin C. Mullin and Stephen P. Hinshaw
27. Incorporating Emotion Regulation into Conceptualizations and Treatments of Anxiety and Mood Disorders, Laura Campbell-Sills and David H. Barlow
28. Alcohol and Affect Regulation, Kenneth J. Sher and Emily R. Grekin
29. Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Pervasive Emotion Dysregulation: Theoretical and Practical Underpinnings, Marsha M. Linehan, Martin Bohus, and Thomas R. Lynch
30. Stress, Stress-Related Disease, and Emotional Regulation, Robert M. Sapolsky
Status: Usually ships in 5-10 business days!