by Jeffrey R. Sprague and Hill M. Walker
A hands-on resource for practitioners, this book provides step-by-step guidance for developing a comprehensive school safety plan.
A hands-on resource for practitioners, this book provides step-by-step guidance for developing a comprehensive school safety plan. Moving from needs assessment to implementation and evaluation, chapters describe research-based strategies that are readily applicable in K-12 settings. Special features include reproducible checklists and other planning tools, presented in a large-size format with convenient lay-flat binding. Described are proven ways to:
* Create a low-crime environment
* Identify and support high-risk students
* Reduce bullying and harassment
* Improve the schoolwide disciplinary system
* Draw on community resources for change
"Exemplary in its concise presentation of practical, evidence-based prevention strategies for use by educators working to create safe and effective school environments....A highly readable text that is replete with usable materials such as questionnaires, surveys and other tools to guide prevention oriented discussions, planning, and actions....I recommend it highly, and truly hope it finds its way into the hands of educators in each of America's schools."
-Attention Magazine (Gary Stoner, February 2006)
"This book provides practical and timely approaches to ensuring school safety and preventing violence. The interventions described are rooted in sound theory and research. From authors who are internationally known for their expertise on school safety, this volume presents cutting-edge knowledge on an important topic."
-Edwin R. Gerler, Jr., EdD, Counselor Education Program, College of Education, North Carolina State University; Editor, Journal of School Violence
"Authored by two of the most respected experts in the field, this book draws on recent advances in the field of youth violence prevention. It provides hands-on, practical strategies sure to be of interest to mental health providers, educators, and other professionals interested in changing the odds for children and youth at risk for serious life adjustment problems. The book will also serve as a valuable text for undergraduate- and graduate-level courses that deal with evidence-based practices for preventing aggressive and violent behavior in children and youth."
-Mark Katz, PhD, author of On Playing a Poor Hand Well
"Sprague and Walker have written a comprehensive yet commonsense book that addresses a most critical topic. For school administrators, counselors, teachers, and other school personnel responsible for creating safe and healthy school environments, this book is an absolute 'must read.' This book is replete with practical assessment tools, prevention programs, and intervention strategies that will be useful to all school personnel."
-Michael H. Epstein, EdD, Department of Special Education and Communication Disorders, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
200 Pages Size: 8 1/2" x 11"
1. At-Risk Youth and School Safety: Critical Issues, Current Challenges, and Promising Approaches
2. Developing a Comprehensive School Safety and Prevention Plan, with Stephen G. Smith
3. Improving School Climate, Safety, and Student Health with Schoolwide Positive Behavior Supports
4. Bullying and Peer-Based Harassment in Schools: Current Status, Influencing Factors, and Identification Methods, with Stephen G. Smith
5. Solutions for Bullying and Peer Harassment in the School Setting, with Stephen G. Smith
6. Screening and Identifying Behaviorally At-Risk Students in Today's Schools: Purposes, Approaches, Outcomes, and Cautions
7. Supporting Antisocial and Potentially Violent Youth, with Vicki Nishioka