by Timothy E. Wilens
Packed with frequently asked questions, examples, and charts, the book explains which medications are prescribed for kids and why; their effects on health, emotions, and school performance; what parents can do to maximize their benefits; and when to consider other treatments instead.
Updating and expanding his popular guide, Dr. Timothy Wilens provides essential advice for parents facing tough choices about whether or not to give a child medication for emotional or behavioral problems. Packed with frequently asked questions, examples, and charts, the book explains which medications are prescribed for kids and why; their effects on health, emotions, and school performance; what parents can do to maximize their benefits; and when to consider other treatments instead.
Revised Edition Coverage Includes:
* New ways of dealing with side effects and protecting kids' safety
* Advances in treating specific disorders
* New and longer-acting medications that make administration easier
* Emerging research on long-term benefits and risks
* Tips for saving money on prescriptions
* Legislative and health care changes that affect children's treatment
"A godsend for parents looking for answers. Wilens takes the mystery out of medication."
"An informative guidebook....The author's straight talk about medications will help parents become 'informed collaborators' in their child's psychiatric care."
"Even the best doctor cannot spend enough time explaining to each parent all of the information this book presents."
"Filled with helpful tables and charts, definitions, commonly asked questions, and sources for further information and support."
"Our students appreciate Straight Talk for its practical information presented in a well-organized, question-and-answer format. Students repeatedly indicate that the book is a definite 'keeper' for their resource libraries."
-DeDe Wohlfarth, PsyD, Department of Psychology, Spalding University
330 Pages Size: 6" x 9"
I. What Every Parent Should Know about Psychiatric Medications for Children
1. The Preliminaries: Building a Foundation of Knowledge
2. The Psychopharmacological Evaluation: Finding Out What's Wrong
3. The Diagnosis and Treatment Plan: Laying Out a Strategy to Help Your Child
4. Treatment and Beyond: Collaborating in Your Child's Ongoing Care
II. Common Childhood Psychiatric Disorders
5. Attentional and Disruptive Behavioral Disorders
6. Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders
7. The Mood Disorders
8. Anxiety-Related Disorders
9. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
10. Disorders of Known Medical and Neurological Origin
11. Other Mental Health Disturbances Affecting Children and Adolescents
III. The Psychotropic Medications
12. The Stimulants and Nonstimulants for ADHD
13. The Antidepressants
14. The Mood Stabilizers
15. The Anxiety-Breaking Medications
16. The Antihypertensives
17. The Antipsychotics
18. Medications for Sleep, Bedwetting, and Other Problems
Appendix: Representative Medication Preparations and Sizes Used for the Treatment of Childhood Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
Example of a Completed Medication Log
Medication Log Resources
Stock: Usually ships in 3-5 business days!