by Edited by Nancy Boyd Webb
Now in a completely revised and updated third edition, this widely adopted casebook and text presents effective, creative approaches to helping children who have experienced such stressful situations as parental death or divorce, abuse and neglect, violence in the school or community, and natural disasters.
Now in a completely revised and updated third edition, this widely adopted casebook and text presents effective, creative approaches to helping children who have experienced such stressful situations as parental death or divorce, abuse and neglect, violence in the school or community, and natural disasters. While the book retains the focus on in-depth case studies that made prior editions so popular, 17 of the 21 chapters are entirely new, and all chapters reflect the latest knowledge on crisis intervention, trauma, and short-term play therapy. Timely new topics include the crisis of parental military deployment, the impact of Hurricane Katrina on families, immigration-related trauma, terrorism, and disrupted adoption.
Pages: 494, Size: 6 1/8" x 9 1/4"
I. Theoretical Overview
1. The Family and Community Context of Children Facing Crisis or Trauma, Nancy Boyd Webb
2. Assessment of the Child Following Crisis or Trauma: The Challenge of Differential Diagnosis, Kathleen Nader
3. Crisis Intervention Play Therapy with Children, Nancy Boyd Webb
II. Crises in the Family
4. Child Exposure to Parental Violence: Case of Amanda, Age 4, Maxine Weinreb and Betsy McAlister Groves
5. Parental Abuse and Subsequent Foster Home Placement, Marilyn B. Benoit
6. Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Child Sexual Abuse and Exposure to Violence: Case of Mary, Age 6, Felicia Neubauer, Esther Deblinger, and Karin Sieger
7. The Enduring Crisis of Divorce for Children and Their Parents, Judith P. Siegel
8. The Crisis of Adoption Disruption and Dissolution, Pamela S. Bruning
9. After a Parent's Death: Group, Family, and Individual Therapy to Help Children, Donna L. Schuurman and Jana DeCristofaro
10. Living beyond the Crisis of Childhood Cancer, Robin F. Goodman
11. The Crisis of Parental Deployment in Military Service, Joseph R. Herzog and R. Blaine Everson
III. School-Based Crisis Intervention
12. New Approaches to Preventing Peer Abuse among Children, Elizabeth K. Englander and Christine Lawson
13. The Crisis of Deaths in Schools: Interventions with Students, Parents, and Teachers, Roxia B. Bullock
14. Helping Forgotten Victims: Using Activity Groups with Children Who Witness Violence, Danielle Nisivoccia and Maxine Lynn
15. School-Based Play Therapy and Solution-Oriented Brief Counseling for Children in Crisis: Case of Melinda, Age 6, Suzanne C. Griffith
IV. Crises in the Community and World
16. International Interventions and Challenges Following the Crisis of Natural Disasters, Jennifer Baggerly
17. The Crisis of Family Separation Following Traumatic Mass Destruction: Jungian Analytical Play Therapy in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Eric J. Green
18. Sudden Death of a Parent in a Terrorist Attack: Crisis Intervention Conjoint Play Therapy with a Preschool Boy and His Mother, Nancy Boyd Webb
19. Multiple Traumas of Undocumented Immigrants-Crisis Reenactment Play Therapy: Case of Ximena, Age 12, Rowena Fong and Ilze Earner
20. Brief Narrative Play Therapy with Refugees, Ann Cattanach
V. Support for Therapists
21. Helping the Helpers: Guidelines to Prevent Vicarious Traumatization of Play Therapists Working with Traumatized Children, Katherine Ryan and Maddy Cunningham
Appendix. Play Therapy Resources
Stock: Usually ships in 3-6 business days!